Oat flour is our secret ingredient for crispy, flavorful chicken wings. The addictively spicy buffalo sauce marries perfectly with the creamy, cooling dip.
Prep Time 1 hour 5 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 55 minutes
Servings 4 people
For the wings:
- 1 cup oat flour (250 ml)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (5 ml)
- 1 tsp paprika (5 ml)
- 1 tsp salt (5 ml)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs chicken wings (wing and drumette) (750g – 1 kg)
- canola oil for deep frying
For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup butter melted (75 ml)
- 1/3 cup hot sauce (75 ml)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (1 ml)
For the dip:
- 1 cup sour cream (250 ml)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (60 ml)
- 1 lemon juice
- 1/2 cup bleu cheese crumbled (125 ml)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 ml)
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
To make dip:
- Stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, bleu cheese, salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
To make sauce:
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine wing sauce ingredients and keep warm.
To make wings:
- In bowl, combine oat flour, cayenne, paprika, salt and a generous pinch of black pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Place chicken wings in a large zip-top freezer bag. Add seasoned oat flour, seal bag and shake to coat each wing completely. Refrigerate for one hour. (There will be some flour left in the bag.)
- Remove bag of wings from refrigerator and shake again. Remove wings from bag, tapping off excess flour. Discard any flour left in bag.
- Heat oil to 375° F (190° C) in deep fryer, according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Fry wings in batches for 8-10 minutes, or until cooked through and crisp. Drain on paper towels and keep warm while you fry remaining batches.
- Transfer wings to a large bowl and toss with warm sauce.
- Serve immediately with Bleu Cheese Dip and celery sticks.