Crimini mushrooms are stuffed with Mediterranean flavors and heart-healthy oats. This appetizer is as easy as it is impressive.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (15 ml)
- 1/2 red onion small, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 3 baby spinach big handfuls, chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes oil-packed, finely chopped (60 ml)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts lightly toasted (60 ml)
- 1/2 tsp oregano dried (2.5 ml)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (15 ml)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2.5 ml)
- pinch black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 cup quick oats (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated or shredded, (125 ml)
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped (optional), (60ml)
- 16 crimini mushrooms med-large, or white mushrooms (1 - 2” in diameter)
- Prepare mushrooms by snapping off stems and removing gills with a teaspoon, being careful not to break mushroom. Roughly chop stems and reserve for filling.
- Place mushrooms on a baking sheet, cavity side up, covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.
- In a large non-stick skillet, sauté onion until soft. Add garlic and continue to sauté for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add chopped mushroom stems and a pinch of salt. Cook until tender.
- Add spinach and sauté until wilted. Stir in tomatoes, pine nuts, oregano, balsamic vinegar and pepper (to taste.)
- Stir in oats, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes before stuffing mushrooms.
- Stuff mushroom caps with 1 heaping tablespoon of the filling. Sprinkle each with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375° F (190° C) for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until cheese is golden and mushrooms are tender. Transfer to a serving plate and sprinkle with parsley.