Upgrade your burger or sandwich with a soft, but hearty, homemade bun. Honey provides just a touch of sweetness, while oats and whole wheat flour give these buns a satisfying texture. Form smaller buns for sliders or dinner rolls.
Prep Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 45 minutes
Servings 12 buns
- 2 cups warm water (100–110°F) (500 ml)
- 1 Tbsp active dry yeast (15 ml)
- 1/4 cup honey (60 ml)
- 3 Tbsp Canola oil (45 ml)
- 2 tsp salt (10 ml)
- 1 cup quick oats (250 ml)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (500 ml)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (500 ml)
- Oat flour or all-purpose flour, for kneading (plus additional, if required)
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup rolled oats (or quick oats) (60 ml)
- In a large bowl, stir together yeast and 1/2 cup of the warm water.
- Let stand for 10 minutes to dissolve and activate the yeast.
- Stir in remaining water, honey, oil, salt and quick oats. Stir in whole wheat and all-purpose flour, to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto an oat-floured surface and knead until dough is smooth, adding additional flour, if required.
- Place in a lightly oiled bowl and let rest, covered for 30 minutes.
- Divide rested dough into 12 equal pieces. Shape each piece of dough into a round bun and flatten slightly.
- Place buns on a parchment-lined baking tray, cover with a clean kitchen towel, and let rise for an additional 45 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush the tops of each bun with egg wash and sprinkle each with a few oats.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack before serving.