Wake up your taste buds and increase your soluble fiber intake with this creamy oat risotto, topped with spicy chorizo and tender-crisp broccoli.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 3/4 lb chorizo (340g)
- 2 cups water (500 ml)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (2.5 ml)
- 1 1/3 cups steel cut oats (335 ml)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (375 ml)
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, divided (125 ml)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (10 ml)
- 2 cups broccoli florets (500 ml)
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (500 ml)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (1 ml)
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt (.5 ml)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley to garnish (60 ml)
- Slice the chorizo into 1/4” rounds.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add steel cut oats and salt, stirring constantly until water returns to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes or until oats are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in chicken broth and simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes or until mixture is creamy. Do not over cook.
- Add 6 Tbsp of the parmesan cheese and stir until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, in a large non-stick skillet sauté chorizo and broccoli in olive oil until chorizo is browned. Stir in tomatoes, pepper and the remaining 1/8 tsp salt.
- Divide risotto between four dishes and top with chorizo and broccoli. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and reserved cheese.