When planning your holiday buffet, look for dishes that can do double duty and are forgiving when it comes to temperature. This easy-going pilaf, made with whole grain oat groats, does double duty as both a salad and a side dish. Your guests will love the contrast between the sweet raisins and the salty feta cheese.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (60 ml)
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (30 ml)
- 1/2 tsp honey (2.5 ml)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 ml)
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- 2 cups oat groats (500 ml)
- 1/4 cup red onion finely minced (60 ml)
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped (60 ml)
- 1/2 cup walnuts coarsely chopped (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup raisins (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled (125 ml)
- Cook oat groats in a large pot of boiling salted water for 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse cooked groats under cold running water. Allow to drain while you prepare other ingredients.
- Whisk dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine drained oats, onion, parsley, walnuts, raisins and feta.
- Add dressing and stir to combine.
- Serve cold, warm, or at room temperature.