Trade in your traditional bread stuffing for this moist and delicious Oat Stuffing, perfect for chicken, turkey or pork. Stuff bell peppers, zucchini or eggplants for an awesome, gluten-free vegetarian entrée.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1/2 cup diced onion (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup diced celery (125 ml)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (30 ml)
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley (15 ml)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning (5 ml)
- 1/4 tsp curry powder (1 ml)
- 1 cup rolled oats (250 ml)
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth (250 ml)
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed (50 ml)
- 1 Tbsp whole flaxseed (15 ml)
- pepper to taste
- 1 large egg
- In a medium fry pan over medium to medium high heat, sauté onion and celery in oil until soft, 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low, stir in parsley, garlic, poultry seasoning and curry powder. Stir 30 seconds.
- Add oats, stir well and remove from heat.
- Add chicken broth and stir until almost absorbed.
- Add flaxseed and pepper.
- Let cool 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in egg.
- Use mixture to stuff cavity or under the skin of chicken before roasting. Can also be spread on flattened turkey or chicken breast, rolled and baked or stuff peppers or zucchini, cover with foil and bake.
- Cranberries, chopped apricots, apple, nuts, etc. can also be added to the stuffing.