Ripe banana and bursts of sweet berries swirl through creamy oatmeal. Wake up your taste buds with this simply delicious breakfast for two.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 1 cup rolled oats (250 ml)
- 1 cup water (250 ml)
- 1 cup milk dairy or non-dairy, (250 ml)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (1 ml)
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar optional, (15 ml)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (2.5 ml)
- 1 banana sliced
- 1 cup berries fresh or frozen, thawed (250 ml)
- In a saucepan, bring water and milk to a simmer.
- Stir in oats, cinnamon and a pinch of salt.
- Simmer for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until oats are tender and liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar (if using) and vanilla.
- Gently fold in banana and berries (reserve a few for garnish).
- Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Divide oatmeal between two bowls and garnish with reserved fruit.
In a hurry? Substitute 1 cup (250 ml) of quick oats (not instant) for the rolled oats. Simmer for 5 minutes in step 3.