Making delicious, gluten-free tortillas is easier than you think and only requires three ingredients – oat flour, salt and water.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 8 Tortillas
- 2 1/4 cups oat flour plus extra for flouring surface (560 ml)
- 1 tsp salt (5 ml)
- 1 cup water cold (250 ml)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together oat flour and salt.
- Add the water slowly, starting with 3/4 cup, mixing with a fork (or your hands) until a dough is formed. If mixture crumbles easily, add more water. If mixture feels sticky, add more oat flour.
- Turn dough out onto a surface, lightly dusted with oat flour, and knead until dough is smooth.
- Divide into eight balls and let rest, covered with plastic wrap, for 10-15 minutes.
- Working with one ball of dough at a time, roll out on a Silpat or parchment until you have a thin, round tortilla. Tip: roll from the center out, rotating dough as necessary. Stack tortillas between sheets of parchment or plastic, covered with a slightly damp kitchen towel, until ready to cook. Do not allow tortillas to dry out.
- In a dry, non-stick or cast-iron pan over medium-high heat, cook tortillas, one at a time, for 30 seconds to one minute per side. Stack and keep warm in a tortilla holder or on a plate, covered with foil.