- 1 Tbsp olive oil (15 ml)
- 1 shallots minced
- 2 cloves garlic small, minced
- 1 cup steel cut oats (250 ml)
- 1 Tbsp butter (15 ml)
- 1/2 cup white wine dry (125 ml)
- 5 cups chicken stock low-salt (1250 ml)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese (125 ml)
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped (75 ml)
- pinch black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs Italian-seasoned (250 ml)
- 1/2 cup flour (125 ml)
- 2 oz mozzarella cheese (65g)
- canola oil for deep frying
- marinara sauce (jarred or homemade) for serving, optional
- Bring stock to a simmer and keep on medium-low heat while you prepare rice mixture.
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, sauté shallot until softened. Add garlic, butter and steel cut oats and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Add wine and cook until completely evaporated.
- Stir in ladleful of hot stock and simmer, stirring frequently, until absorbed. Continue adding stock, ladleful at a time, cooking until liquid is nearly absorbed before adding more. The oats should be cooked in about 25 minutes – they will be al dente and creamy.
- Remove from heat and stir in pepper, cheese and parsley. Taste and season with salt if needed.
- IMPORTANT: Cool completely before going on to next step.
- Cut mozzarella into 1/2” (12mm) cubes.
- Using an ice cream scoop or a soup spoon, scoop a small amount (about 2 Tbsp) of the oat mixture into the palm of your hand. Place a cube of mozzarella in the center and form the ball around it, encasing it completely.
- Assemble your breading station: place flour in one bowl, egg in another, and breadcrumbs in a third.
- Roll each risotto ball in flour, then egg, then breadcrumb mixture, tapping off excess. Continue until you have used all of the cooked oat mixture.
Heat oil in deep fryer, or large heavy saucepan, to 350° F (175° C) degrees.
Fry the arancini in batches of 4 until golden brown (about 5 minutes.)
Remove from oil and drain on paper towels.
Serve hot with warmed marinara sauce for dipping, if you like.