Our Oat Picnic Salad, studded with toasted almonds and tart dried cranberries, can be served cold or at room temperature, making it a terrific addition to your next picnic or potluck. Oat groats have a delightfully chewy texture and stand-up well in the flavorful dressing.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
- 2 cups oat groats (500 ml)
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (30 ml)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (30 ml)
- 2 Tbsp orange juice (30 ml)
- 1 tsp orange zest (5 ml)
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp soy sauce (5 ml)
- 1 tsp honey (5 ml)
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup almonds slivered, toasted (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup cranberries dried (125 ml)
- Cook oat groats in boiling water with a generous pinch of salt for 25-30 minutes. Drain and rinse well under cold running water. Allow oats to drain completely before assembling salad.
- Prepare the dressing: in a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, vinegar, honey, soy sauce, garlic and orange zest.
- In a large bowl, combine drained oats, grated carrot, celery, scallions, almonds and cranberries.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed.
- Let stand, covered, for one hour to let flavors develop.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.