Oat flour is our secret ingredient for crispy, flavourful chicken wings. The addictively spicy buffalo sauce marries perfectly with the creamy, cooling dip.
Oat flour is our secret ingredient for crispy, flavorful chicken wings. The addictively spicy buffalo sauce marries perfectly with the creamy, cooling dip.
For the wings:
- 1 cup oat flour (250 ml)
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (5 ml)
- 1 tsp paprika (5 ml)
- 1 tsp salt (5 ml)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper freshly ground
- 1 1/2 to 2 lbs chicken wings (wing and drumette) (750g – 1 kg)
- canola oil for deep frying
For the sauce:
- 1/3 cup butter melted (75 ml)
- 1/3 cup hot sauce (75 ml)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (1 ml)
For the dip:
- 1 cup sour cream (250 ml)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (60 ml)
- 1 lemon juice
- 1/2 cup bleu cheese crumbled (125 ml)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 ml)
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
To make dip:
- Stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, bleu cheese, salt and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
To make sauce:
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine wing sauce ingredients and keep warm.
To make wings:
- In bowl, combine oat flour, cayenne, paprika, salt and a generous pinch of black pepper. Whisk to combine.
- Place chicken wings in a large zip-top freezer bag. Add seasoned oat flour, seal bag and shake to coat each wing completely. Refrigerate for one hour. (There will be some flour left in the bag.)
- Remove bag of wings from refrigerator and shake again. Remove wings from bag, tapping off excess flour. Discard any flour left in bag.
- Heat oil to 375° F (190° C) in deep fryer, according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Fry wings in batches for 8-10 minutes, or until cooked through and crisp. Drain on paper towels and keep warm while you fry remaining batches.
- Transfer wings to a large bowl and toss with warm sauce.
- Serve immediately with Bleu Cheese Dip and celery sticks.