Looking for a simple, ready-made lunch that’s portable and light? Try this easy-to-make Chickpea and Oat salad as a perfectly portable lunch, or side for dinner. Colourful roasted vegetables, chickpeas and steel cut oats are layered in glass jars for a simple meal that’s good to taste and good for you.
For the oats:
- 1 cups steel cut oats (500 ml)
- 1 cups water boiling (500 ml)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 ml)
For the dressing:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh (60 ml)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (60 ml)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp cumin (5 ml)
- 1 tsp honey (5 ml)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2.5 ml)
- black pepper freshly ground
- 1/2 cup dill fresh, finely chopped (125 ml)
For the salad:
- 1 Tbsp canola oil or olive oil (15 ml)
- 1 red onion small, sliced thickly
- 1 red bell pepper quartered
- 2 zucchini small, sliced lengthwise
- 19 oz chickpeas (canned) drained and rinsed (540 ml)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled (125 ml)
To cook oats:
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, toast oats for 5 minutes, shaking and stirring constantly.
- Transfer to a bowl, pour-over boiling water and 1/2 tsp salt. Cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes, or until oats have absorbed all of the water. Fluff with fork.
To make dressing:
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
To grill vegetables:
- Brush onion, red pepper and zucchini with olive oil and grill over medium high heat until tender and slightly charred.
- Remove from grill pan, roughly chop and set aside.
To assemble individual salads:
- Divide dressing between 6-8 small mason jars.
- To each jar, add a layer of chickpeas, a layer of oats, a layer of chopped grilled vegetables and a spoonful of crumbled feta.
- Seal tightly and refrigerate.
- Before eating, give jar a good shake to distribute dressing.
To assemble one big salad:
- In a large bowl, combine cooked oats, chickpeas, grilled vegetables and feta.
- Add dressing and toss well to combine.
- Serve at room temperature or cold. Salad can be made the day before.