Recipe makeover! We added oat flour to our favourite cornbread recipe for improved nutrition and texture.
Jalapeño Cheese Cornbread
Who can resist a piece of moist cornbread, still warm from the oven? We’ve replaced some of the flour in our traditional recipe with oat flour, for added nutrition. The jalapeños and cheese make this cornbread a perfect accompaniment for chili.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal (375 ml)
- 2 1/2 cups milk (625 ml)
- 1 1/3 cups flour all-purpose (325 ml)
- 2/3 cup oat flour (160 ml)
- 1/4 cup sugar white (60 ml)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder (15 ml)
- 1 tsp salt (5 ml)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated, divided (500 ml)
- 3 Tbsp jalapeños finely chopped (45 ml)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup canola oil (125 ml)
- jalapeños sliced, to garnish
Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C) degrees.
- Combine cornmeal and milk in a small bowl and let stand for 5 minutes to soften.
Grease a cast iron skillet or 9" x 13” baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, oat flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil. Stir until smooth. Stir in half of the cheese and the chopped jalapeños.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Top with remaining cheese and sliced jalapeños.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.