These tacos contain a whopping five superfoods – oats, kale, quinoa, blueberries and avocado. Recipe adapted from Chef Pete Dressen’s entry in the James Beard Foundation’s “More Taste, Less Waste” competition.
Prep Time 1 hour
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 30 minutes
Servings 4 people
Oats Everyday Oat Tortillas
- 2 1/2 cups oat flour (625 ml)
- 1 cup cold water (250 ml)
- 1 tsp salt (5 ml)
Asian Pear Salsa
- 1/2 Asian pear, diced
- 1 pink grapefruit, peel and pith removed, segmented and chopped
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, finely chopped (30 ml)
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated (15 ml)
- 1 red jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
Quinoa & Blueberry Base
- 1 cup red quinoa (250 ml)
- 2 cups blueberries (500 ml)
- 1 1/2 cups water (375 ml)
Kale & Carrot Filling
- 1 Tbsp olive oil (15 ml)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bunch kale, rinsed and shaken dry
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 tsp chili powder (5 ml)
- 1 tsp ground cumin (5 ml)
- 1/4 cup water (60 ml)
- Salt to taste
- 1 ripe avocado (slice right before serving)
For the Oat Tortillas:
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together oat flour and salt.
- Add the water slowly, starting with 3/4 cup, mixing with a fork (or your hands) until a dough is formed. If mixture crumbles easily, add more water. If mixture feels sticky, add more oat flour.
- Turn dough out onto a surface, lightly dusted with oat flour, and knead until dough is smooth.
- Divide into eight balls and let rest, covered with plastic wrap, for 10-15 minutes.
- Working with one ball of dough at a time, roll out on a lightly floured surface until you have a thin, round tortilla. Tip: roll from the center out, rotating dough as necessary. Stack tortillas between sheets of parchment or plastic, covered with a slightly damp kitchen towel, until ready to cook. Do not allow tortillas to dry out.
- In a dry cast-iron pan over high heat, cook tortillas, one at a time, for about 30 seconds per side. Stack and keep warm in a tortilla holder or on a plate, covered with foil.
For the Asian Pear Salsa:
- Combine salsa ingredients in a small bowl.
- Allow salsa to stand for one hour to let flavors meld.
- For the Quinoa & Blueberry Base:
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa, blueberries and water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for approximately 20 minutes, or until water has been absorbed and quinoa grains look like they have popped open.
- Remove from heat, fluff with fork and keep covered until ready to serve.
For the filling:
- Remove the stems and ribs from the kale. Cut crosswise into 1/2” strips.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, sauté garlic in olive oil until fragrant.
- Add the chopped kale and carrots and sauté until kale is wilted.
Chili powder, cumin, salt and water. Bring to a simmer and cook for 3 – 5 minutes, or until water has disappeared and kale is tender. Do not overcook.
To Assemble the Tacos:
- Place a couple spoonfuls of the quinoa onto each tortilla.
- Divide the kale mixture between the tacos, then top each with the salsa and avocado.