Chase off the winter chill with a satisfying bowl of creamy, low-fat vegetable soup. Oats thicken the soup and add additional fiber.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
- 1 Tbsp canola oil (15 ml)
- 1 small onion diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 Tbsp butter (15 ml)
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (125 ml)
- 1 cup vegetable stock (250 ml)
- 1 cup corn fresh or frozen (250 ml)
- 1 cup green beans cut, fresh or frozen (250 ml)
- 4 cups milk low-fat (1000 ml)
- 1/2 tsp thyme dried or a couple sprigs of fresh (2.5 ml)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2.5 ml)
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- Heat the oil in a pot or large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Sauté onion, celery and carrot until softened.
- Add butter, garlic and oats and cook, stirring, for about a minute to toast oats.
- Add stock and stir until nearly absorbed.
- Stir in corn, green beans, milk, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat, taste and adjust seasonings.
- Let stand for 5 minutes and stir before serving. (Soup will continue to thicken.)
- Note: if you used fresh thyme, don’t forget to remove the stems before serving!