Try this delicious and healthy dessert if you are craving a traditional dessert with a twist!
- 1 ½ cup grated carrot
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup oatmeal
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup applesauce
- ¼ cup coconut or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup chopped walnut
- ¼ cup chopped pineapple in syrup
- ¼ cup grated coconut
Cream cheese cake icing
- 80 gr softened cream cheese
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 175ºC.
- Grease a 22 cm diameter round pan or a 9×9-inch square pan and cover with baking paper so you can easily unmold.
- Place the eggs, vanilla, oil, applesauce and brown sugar in a bowl. Beat for 1 minute to incorporate well.
- In a cup or bowl, mix the dry ingredients: oatmeal, wholemeal flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Add to the wet ones without beating too much.
- Lastly, add the pineapple, carrot, chopped walnut and mix until they are all incorporated with the palette one so as not to beat too much.
- Pour into the greased and paper-lined pan, bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- In the meantime, soften the cream cheese until there are no lumps. Add the Greek yogurt, icing sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Blend until smooth and soft.
- Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes before removing from there. Or if it is a glass mold you can leave it there. Once cold, cover with bitumen and enjoy.
- You have to refrigerate what’s left as bitumen has dairy.
Watch the Video
Muscovado sugar: The same as brown sugar, you can change for coconut sugar in the same amount or, you can also lower the amount of sugar and use monk fruit sweetener. Don’t switch to a liquid sweetener like honey or syrup because you’ll completely change the texture of the batter and you won’t be able to bake de cake.
Pineapple: It is used in syrup to ensure that it is 100% sweet and does not add any bitter flavor to your cake, if the fresh pineapple you have is very sweet, you can use it instead of using pineapple in syrup. You can even use canned or bottled pineapples that come in pineapple juice for a healthier version.