This time last year, overnight oats were the talk of the town, and as far as food trends go, it seemed to be one that everyone could unanimously agree was fantastic. And, as self-proclaimed Oat Enthusiasts (and lovers of putting any and all food in jars), it’s one trend that we are happy to see hasn’t lost its momentum.
If you’re one of those people who can barely manage to pour milk into a bowl of cereal in the morning, this recipe is for you. The milk goes in at night, when you are still a functioning human being, and all you have to do in the morning is grab a spoon. Even on our worst mornings, we can handle that.
For the those of you who want to take on a little more in the morning, your overnight oats can be dressed up with some fresh fruit – a handful of berries, a sliced banana or half of a chopped apple. Add a dollop of yogurt and you’ve got a protein- and fiber-packed breakfast that can be eaten on the spot or taken with you to work or school.
If you prefer a hot breakfast, remove the lid and top up your jar with an additional 1/3 cup of milk or water. Pop it in the microwave for two minutes, give it one good stir at around the halfway point, and you’ll have the creamiest hot oatmeal ever.
The goal of overnight oats is to make your mornings go as smoothly as possible. That’s why all the real “work” of putting your overnight oats together can be done when you have a few extra minutes on the weekend. Gather your dry ingredients, line up your jars or lidded containers, and assemble a week’s worth of breakfasts all at once! It’ll take no time at all, we promise.
Not a jar person? That’s okay – any 2-cup lidded container will do. We just happen to think mason jars make the whole thing so much more fun.
And, after a week of easy, breezy mornings where you’ve managed to sleep as late as possible and still have an awesome breakfast to take out the door, you’ll see why we’ve been making this a part of our routine for so long!
Monday to Friday Overnight Oats
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats divided (625 ml)
- 2 Tbsp hemp hearts or flaxseeds, divided (30 ml)
- 10 Tbsp dried fruit chopped, (raisins, apricots, dates, cherries, etc.), divided (150 ml)
- 5 Tbsp coconut toasted, divided (75 ml)
- 5 Tbsp almonds toasted, sliced, divided (75 ml)
- 5 Tbsp pumpkin seeds raw, divided (75 ml)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar divided (60 ml)
- cinnamon to taste
- nutmeg to taste
- 4 cups milk dairy or non-dairy, divided (1 l)
- fruit fresh, for serving (apples, berries, banana, etc.)
- yogurt vanilla (optional)
Prep your jars for the week:
- In each clean, dry jar, place 1/2 cup oats.
- Add 1 Tbsp each coconut, almonds and pumpkin seeds to each jar.
- Add 2 Tbsp dried fruit and 1 rounded tsp hemp or flax to each jar.
- Add 1-2 tsp brown sugar, a large pinch of cinnamon and a small pinch of nutmeg to each jar.
Each night before bed:
- Stir 3/4 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy) into ONE jar.
- Refrigerate overnight.
In the morning:
- Top your overnight oats as desired. Add your choice of fresh fruit (1/2 an apple, finely chopped or grated, 1 small banana, sliced, or 1/3 cup fresh berries), or some yogurt and granola.