When you try this tempura you will feel like you are in your favorite restaurant.
I am going to pass you the 2 secrets to always make it perfect and it’s crunchy and with a delicious flavor. You have to keep the mixture very cold all the time, since you prepare it and while you are using it.
The other is to use mineral water or sparkling water or water with bubbles, which we are going to cool with ice before starting with the recipe. These bubbles help make the mixture light and crunchy.
I used vegetables (zucchini, broccoli, eggplant and asparagus), but you can use your favorite ingredients, even chicken, shrimp, fish. The only thing that changes is cooking until each ingredient is well cooked or as you like best.
- ½ cup oatmeal
- ½ cup wheat flour
- 1 egg
- 1 cup ice mineral water
- Oil to fry the necessary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 zucchini
- 1 aubergine girl
- ½ broccoli
- Asparagus to taste
Tempura sauce (tentsuyu):
- ¾ cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon hondashi or dashi powder
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
Tempura sauce (tentsuyu):
- In a small pot mix the water with the powder for dashi, sugar, soy sauce and mirin. Cook for 2 minutes over medium-high heat, it should be boiling low.
- Remove from heat and set aside to serve with tempura vegetables.
- The sauce lasts good in the refrigerator for about 4 to 5 days.
- Add ice to the mineral water as we want it to be well frozen.
- Cut the vegetables into strips or slices, not so thick so they don’t take long to be ready.
- Cover cut vegetables with cornstarch or wheat flour, which are well covered or the tempura will slip instead of sticking or adhering to them.
- Heat the oil in a large, deep pot or skillet.
- Sift the wheat flour with the oatmeal so that it is very light and place it in a bowl.
- On a plate beat the egg, add the ice mineral water without ice (you need a total of 1 cup), salt, pepper and mix well.
- Add the sifted flour and mix with chopsticks so as not to beat too much with the balloon beater. The secret of the dough is that it must be frozen and not made too far in advance.
- Cover the vegetables with the tempura mixture and immediately add to the hot oil. Cook for a few minutes on both sides until completely browned. Depending on the temperature, they will be about 2 to 3 minutes approx. If your oil is very low, all the oil will be absorbed by the vegetables and will be very greasy. If it is very hot, it will burn on the outside before the vegetables soften.
- When they are ready, place them on a paper towel or absorbent paper and enjoy immediately because as time passes they can soften instead of being crispy.
- Accompany with the sauce you prepared, it is great and like a restaurant.
Watch the Video
Mineral water: It is also known as sparkling water, it is the water that has bubbles and is the one used for this recipe since the bubbles help the lightness of the tempura, it cannot be changed by natural water.
To do it in air fryer: It is not my favorite method but if you can, cook in a preheated hot air fryer at 380ºF for 8 minutes, turning in half.