Savory granola adds a wonderful texture and crunch to any salad. Here, grilled kale and nectarines are topped with a zingy ginger-carrot dressing and a crisp, granola with a surprising Asian twist.
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 large bunch kale, rinsed and shaken dry, ribs removed
- 2 firm nectarines, each cut into eighths
- Small handful fresh blueberries
Savory Sesame-Ginger Granola
- 1 cup rolled oats (250 ml)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds or slivered almonds (125 ml)
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds (30 ml)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (30 ml)
- 2 Tbsp honey (30 ml)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated (5 ml)
- 1/2 tsp fresh garlic (2.5 ml)
- 1 tsp sesame oil (5 ml)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 ml)
Fresh Carrot Dressing
- 1 cup chopped carrots (250 ml)
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar (75 ml)
- 1/3 cup canola oil (75 ml)
- 1 Tbsp honey (15 ml)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil (5 ml)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 ml)
For the Granola:
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, pumpkin seeds (or almonds) and sesame seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together canola oil, honey, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and salt.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry and stir well to combine. Spread evenly on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for approx. 15 minutes, or until granola is golden brown and fragrant. Do not over-bake – stir once, halfway through cooking and watch carefully after the 10 minute mark.
- Allow to cool on pan completely before using. Store leftover granola in an airtight container.
For the Dressing:
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Pulse, then blend until smooth. Adjust seasoning.
For the Salad:
- In a grill pan over high heat, grill nectarines for approximately one minute per side.
- In the same pan, grill kale, one large handful at a time, until bright green and lightly charred. This will take just a couple seconds in a very hot pan. Note: You may find it helpful to place a flat metal pot lid on top of the kale to lightly press it onto the grill surface.
- Tear the grilled kale into smaller pieces and place on a platter. Top with grilled nectarines and fresh blueberries.
- Spoon carrot dressing over salad, to taste, or serve on the side.
- Sprinkle generously with granola.