If you have never tried a savory oatmeal, you are missing out! Creamy oats, combined with smoky bacon, scallions and cheddar is about to become your new favorite breakfast. Add a fried egg for extra protein.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 4 bacon strips thick-cut, diced
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1 cup quick oats (250 ml)
- 2 cups water (500 ml)
- salt pinch
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated, divided (125 ml)
- black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs optional
In a medium saucepan, sauté bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Remove bacon fat from pan, leaving only a thin layer to sauté the onions in. Sauté just the white parts of the onions for 30 seconds. (Save the green parts for garnish.)
- Add oats and sauté with the onions for about a minute, stirring constantly. The oats will absorb the remaining bacon fat. Add water and a generous pinch of salt, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning, adding pepper to taste. Stir in cooked bacon and most of the cheese.
- Divide oats between two bowls. Top each portion with remaining cheese and reserved green onions.
- Next level – top each serving with a perfectly fried egg.