There are as many opinions about crab cakes as there are recipes. Our crab cakes feature sweet, juicy, crab meat coated in oats instead of breadcrumbs for a golden, gluten-free crust.
Crab Cakes with Lemon Aioli
There are as many opinions about crab cakes as there are recipes. Our crab cakes feature sweet, juicy crab meat, coated in oats instead of breadcrumbs for a golden, gluten-free crust.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 crab cakes
For crab cakes:
- 1 lb crabmeat (500 g)
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper minced (125 ml)
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise (30 ml)
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard grainy (15 ml)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice fresh (15 ml)
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 1/2 cup quick oats divided (375 ml)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2.5 ml)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (1.5 ml)
- 1 egg large, beaten
- 2 Tbsp canola oil for frying, plus more if needed (30 ml)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (125 ml)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 lemon zest
- salt to taste
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice and zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until serving.
- Place 1 cup quick oats onto a shallow plate.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, egg white, salt and pepper. Stir in red pepper and scallions.
- Fold in crab meat and 1/2 cup quick oats.
- Form into patties, using approximately 1/4 cup of the mixture for each. Gently roll patties in oats, tapping off excess.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Fry three or four at a time, turning once, until golden. Add additional canola oil, if needed.
- Drain on paper towel and keep warm. Serve with quick lemon aioli.