There are as many opinions about crab cakes as there are recipes. Our crab cakes feature sweet, juicy, crab meat coated in oats instead of breadcrumbs for a golden, gluten-free crust.
There are as many opinions about crab cakes as there are recipes. Our crab cakes feature sweet, juicy crab meat, coated in oats instead of breadcrumbs for a golden, gluten-free crust.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 4 crab cakes
For crab cakes:
- 1 lb crabmeat (500 g)
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper minced (125 ml)
- 2 Tbsp mayonnaise (30 ml)
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard grainy (15 ml)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice fresh (15 ml)
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 1/2 cup quick oats divided (375 ml)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2.5 ml)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (1.5 ml)
- 1 egg large, beaten
- 2 Tbsp canola oil for frying, plus more if needed (30 ml)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (125 ml)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 lemon zest
- salt to taste
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice and zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until serving.
- Place 1 cup quick oats onto a shallow plate.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, egg white, salt and pepper. Stir in red pepper and scallions.
- Fold in crab meat and 1/2 cup quick oats.
- Form into patties, using approximately 1/4 cup of the mixture for each. Gently roll patties in oats, tapping off excess.
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Fry three or four at a time, turning once, until golden. Add additional canola oil, if needed.
- Drain on paper towel and keep warm. Serve with quick lemon aioli.