This is a fantastic version of the classic salad, perfect for those who do not eat wheat. We’ve replaced bulgur with steel cut oats, but kept all of the texture and bold flavors of the original. Oats are prepared with the pour-over method, leaving distinct grains with a chewy texture.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 25 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 40 minutes
- 2 cups steel cut oats (500 ml)
- 2 cups water boiling (500 ml)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2.5 ml)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice fresh (60 ml)
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest (2.5 ml)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (60 ml)
- salt to taste
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- 1 cucumber large English cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 pint grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes, quartered or chopped
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 1 cup parsley finely chopped (250 ml)
- 1/2 cup mint fresh, finely chopped (125 ml)
To cook oats:
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, toast oats for 5 minutes, shaking and stirring constantly.
- Transfer to a bowl, pour-over boiling water and 1/2 tsp salt. Cover and let stand for 25-30 minutes, or until oats have absorbed all of the water. Fluff with fork.
To make dressing:
- Whisk together lemon juice and zest, garlic and olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. (The oats will mellow the dressing, so don’t worry if it’s bold.)
- Combine warm oats with dressing, cover and refrigerate one hour.
To assemble salad:
- Stir in cucumber, tomato, scallions and fresh herbs.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.