We’re big supporters of eating fresh produce while it’s in-season.
Sure, you can get just about anything at any time of year, but fruits and vegetables are always best in-season. In fact, asparagus, one of our favorite vegetables, is in season right now and we can’t get enough of it!
As with most vegetables, asparagus are good on their own, but great breaded. When we start talking about a crispy, crunchy parmesan-oat breading, things really start to take off.
The beauty of using oats to bread your asparagus is they are the perfect foil for such a delicate vegetable. They crisp up quickly in the oven, giving you a beautiful-golden brown coating on tender, bright green spears. It’s almost too pretty to eat. Almost.
This fabulous breading combines two of our obsessions – oats and cheese – and can be quickly whipped up in a food processor. We also add a touch of olive oil to encourage browning, but other than a pinch of salt and pepper, that’s it. We let the oats speak for themselves.
Finishing the recipe is as easy as, well, breading asparagus – a quick dust with oat flour, a dip in egg wash, a roll in your parmesan-oat mixture and then a quick blast in the oven. The finished product is delightfully crispy, cheesy oat-breaded asparagus. Yum!
This recipe can be served as a weeknight side and it’s also perfect for entertaining. It’s fancy enough to pass around as finger food at a cocktail party, and casual enough to be the star at your next backyard barbecue. You might even find yourself making it for a movie night at home. Sorry, popcorn, we’ll come back to you after asparagus season.
One word of warning, make lots. You will probably find yourself eating them right off the baking tray in the kitchen like we do.
Before we go, here’s one more bonus! With its cheesy, crispy breading, and the fact that you could call them “asparagus fries,” you might just be able to get a vegetable-adverse kid (or adult) to eat this dish! Serve them with a creamy dip and watch them disappear.
It’s okay – no need to thank us. Just send asparagus.
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly brush a large baking sheet with olive oil.
- Place oats and parmesan cheese into the bowl of a food processor, along with a generous pinch of salt and some freshly ground pepper.
- Drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil and pulse until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Pour into a shallow dish. Pour eggs into a second dish.
- Dust asparagus spears with oat flour, gently tapping to remove excess.
- One at a time, thoroughly coat asparagus spears in beaten egg, then roll in parmesan oat mixture.
- Place breaded spears on prepared pan, making sure they do not touch.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until tender-crisp and browned, turning once during baking.