Looking for a taste of summer this fall? Studded with toasted almonds and tart dried cranberries, our Oat Picnic Salad can be served cold or at room temperature. Add it to your next picnic or potluck! Oat groats have a delightfully chewy texture and stand-up well in the flavourful dressing.
- 2 cups oat groats (500 ml)
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil (30 ml)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (30 ml)
- 2 Tbsp orange juice (30 ml)
- 1 tsp orange zest (5 ml)
- 1 small clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp soy sauce (5 ml)
- 1 tsp honey (5 ml)
- 1 carrot grated
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup almonds slivered, toasted (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup cranberries dried (125 ml)
- Cook oat groats in boiling water with a generous pinch of salt for 25-30 minutes. Drain and rinse well under cold running water. Allow oats to drain completely before assembling salad.
- Prepare the dressing: in a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, vinegar, honey, soy sauce, garlic and orange zest.
- In a large bowl, combine drained oats, grated carrot, celery, scallions, almonds and cranberries.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed.
- Let stand, covered, for one hour to let flavors develop.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.