Quick, nutritious dinner ideas that will appeal to the whole family are always in high demand. We thought we’d help you out with our Crispy Chicken Fajitas: a healthy and fast weeknight meal that will score points with both adults and kids.
We made our Crispy Chicken Fajitas with strips of tender chicken that we breaded in savory oats. All you need is rolled oats, a food processor and a handful of fresh ingredients. The breading adds great texture to the chicken, and is highly palatable to young taste buds. In fact, this chicken is so good the kids will never guess how healthy it is.
In our experience, sometimes the easiest way to help the family eat a little healthier is to be sneaky about it. Sure, traditional breadings made with flour or breadcrumbs are delicious, but they tend to offer little nutritionally. Our tasty oat breading adds not only a wonderful texture and crunch, it really pulls ahead when it comes to adding fiber and nutrients. Just half a cup of rolled oats contains 4 grams of fiber, and 20 per cent of your daily iron needs, plus B-vitamins and protein to boot.
One of the best things about this meal is how fast it is to prepare. The oat breading is quick and easy to make in the food processor, and the peppers and onions are cut into strips, so no time-consuming fine chopping is involved.
Once the chicken has been breaded and the vegetables are ready to go, the whole meal cooks in a very hot oven in just 15 minutes.
Round out these fajitas with grated cheese, sour cream and chopped cilantro. We recommend laying out all of your ingredients buffet style and letting everyone grab an oat tortilla and fill it with the ingredients they like, in the order they like them.
With Crispy Chicken Fajitas on the menu, it’s easy to deliver fast, healthy weeknight meals that are appealing to everybody.
Strips of tender chicken are breaded in a savory oat coating and baked alongside a colorful medley of peppers and onions. Serve with oat tortillas, grated cheese, sour cream and chopped cilantro.
For the chicken:
- 1 cup rolled oats (250 ml)
- 1 lime zest
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves (60 ml)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2.5 ml)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil (15 ml)
- 4 small chicken breasts cut into strips
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce to taste (2.5 ml)
For the vegetables:
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 Tbsp canola oil (15 ml)
- 1 lime juice
- 2 tsp chili powder (10 ml)
- 2 tsp cumin (10 ml)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 ml)
- oat tortillas
- sour cream
- cheese grated
- cilantro leaves fresh
- lime wedges
Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C)
Place oats, lime zest, cilantro, salt and oil in a food processor, pulse until coarsely ground. Transfer to a shallow bowl or plate.
- In a second bowl, whisk together egg and hot sauce. Add chicken strips all at once to egg mixture, stirring to coat.
- Working with one strip at a time, remove from egg, shaking off excess, and roll in oat mixture. Place on a baking tray, lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- Place onion and sliced peppers in a bowl. Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, salt, lime juice and oil, and stir or toss until all vegetables are evenly coated. Spread on a baking tray, lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake chicken and peppers for 15 minutes, or until chicken is golden and cooked through, and vegetables are tender. Serve on oat tortillas with your favorite fajita toppings.