When it comes to breakfast, are you a sweet or a savory person?
If you said savory, when was the last time you tucked into a big bowl of oatmeal? Most people associate oatmeal with sweet tastes – brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, fruit – but what if we asked you to think outside the box? Or the bowl, if you will.
Picture this – hot, creamy oatmeal with melted, gooey cheese and salty, smoky thick cut bacon. Yes, bacon.
This recipe required extensive testing. Not because we couldn’t get it right. Oh, no. We nailed it on the first try. We just had to keep making it. And making it. It’s that good.
The savory-types amongst us were profoundly satisfied, and the rest had to do some major soul-searching. On the days we made this one, we were all in Camp Savory.
The thick-cut bacon was deliciously smoky and struck a perfect balance between crispy and chewy. The scallions add a mild onion flavor, a perfect complement to the cheese and bacon. For those that like things a little spicy, adding a splash of hot sauce will hit the spot.
Our advice is to save this one for the weekend. It’s a one-pot dish that goes together quickly, but once you sit down with a bowlful, you’re going to want to take just a little extra time to savor it. Trust us. And what could be better than the smell of frying bacon on a Saturday morning?
To take it to the next level, top your bowl of oatmeal with a perfectly fried egg. It’s about time these breakfast mainstays got to know each other. Adding an egg is going to give you an extra 6 grams of protein, but even if you leave it off, you are still getting a powerhouse of a breakfast.
Oats, bacon and cheese – this is exactly what you need to get you through woodchopping or wood shopping or however you plan to spend your Saturday.
Try it, and then come back and answer the question again. When it comes to breakfast, are you a sweet or a savory person?
Bacon and Cheddar Savory Oatmeal
If you have never tried a savory oatmeal, you are missing out! Creamy oats, combined with smoky bacon, scallions and cheddar is about to become your new favorite breakfast. Add a fried egg for extra protein.
- 4 bacon strips thick-cut, diced
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1 cup quick oats (250 ml)
- 2 cups water (500 ml)
- salt pinch
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated, divided (125 ml)
- black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs optional
In a medium saucepan, sauté bacon over medium-high heat until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Remove bacon fat from pan, leaving only a thin layer to sauté the onions in. Sauté just the white parts of the onions for 30 seconds. (Save the green parts for garnish.)
- Add oats and sauté with the onions for about a minute, stirring constantly. The oats will absorb the remaining bacon fat. Add water and a generous pinch of salt, and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning, adding pepper to taste. Stir in cooked bacon and most of the cheese.
- Divide oats between two bowls. Top each portion with remaining cheese and reserved green onions.
- Next level – top each serving with a perfectly fried egg.