A fantastic oat-based recipe for the holidays. This easy-going, festive pilaf is made with oat groats, and does double duty as both a salad and a side dish. It can be served at room temperature or warm.
Oat Pilaf with Walnuts, Raisins and Feta
When planning your holiday buffet, look for dishes that can do double duty and are forgiving when it comes to temperature. This easy-going pilaf, made with whole grain oat groats, does double duty as both a salad and a side dish. Your guests will love the contrast between the sweet raisins and the salty feta cheese.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (60 ml)
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (30 ml)
- 1/2 tsp honey (2.5 ml)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 ml)
- black pepper freshly ground, to taste
- 2 cups oat groats (500 ml)
- 1/4 cup red onion finely minced (60 ml)
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley finely chopped (60 ml)
- 1/2 cup walnuts coarsely chopped (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup raisins (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled (125 ml)
- Cook oat groats in a large pot of boiling salted water for 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse cooked groats under cold running water. Allow to drain while you prepare other ingredients.
- Whisk dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine drained oats, onion, parsley, walnuts, raisins and feta.
- Add dressing and stir to combine.
- Serve cold, warm, or at room temperature.