Looking for a healthy, interesting side dish? This fragrant, golden-hued steel cut oat pilaf is a perfect companion for meats and vegetarian entrees. Or, serve alone, topped with a fried egg for a filling, protein-packed snack.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 1 Tbsp olive or Canola oil (15 ml)
- 2 small shallots, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp turmeric (5 ml)
- 1/2 tsp cumin (2.5 ml)
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup steel cut oats (250 ml)
- 3 cups chicken stock or water (750 ml)
- 1/2 tsp salt (if using water or no-salt chicken stock) (2.5 ml)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed (125 ml)
- In a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat, sauté shallots in oil until softened.
- Add garlic and spices and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
- Add carrot, oats, stock or water, and salt (if required).
- Bring to a simmer, cover, reduce heat to med-low and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until oats have absorbed most of the liquid.
- Stir in peas and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes before fluffing with fork.