Build a better burrito bowl with all of your favorite toppings on a base of healthy, fiber-rich steel cut oats.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 4 people
For the oats:
- 1 cup steel cut oats (250 ml)
- 3 cups water (750 ml)
- 1/2 tsp salt (2.5 ml)
For the crema:
- 1/2 cup sour cream (125 ml)
- 1 Tbsp lime juice fresh (15 ml)
- 2 Tbsp cilantro leaves finely chopped (30 ml)
For the bowls:
- 2 chicken breasts approx. 6 - 8oz each (170 - 225g)
- 1 cup black beans (canned) drained, rinsed and heated (250 ml)
- 1 cup corn (canned or frozen) heated (250 ml)
- 1 avocado diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack cheese, grated (125 ml)
- 1/2 cup salsa or pico de gallo (125 ml)
To make oats:
- Bring water to a boil. Stir in oats and salt. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20-25 mins.
To make crema:
- For cilantro-lime crema: Stir together sour cream, lime juice and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and set aside.
To make chicken:
- Season chicken breasts to taste with salt and pepper and grill until cooked through, then slice or dice into bite-sized pieces.
- Divide oats between four bowls.
- Top with beans, chicken, corn, cheese, avocado, salsa and cilantro-lime crema.